35 Surefire Ways to Kill a Meeting
1. Play "find the meeting" by changing the location and time of your meeting at the last minute.
2. Don't bother to book your meeting room in advance. Lead the group from room to room trying to find another place to meet.
3. Bring 5 handouts for 20 attendees.
4. Leave and say, "I'll be back. I'm going to make handouts."
5. Don't use an agenda because "everybody knows why we are here."
6. Keep an attitude that "meetings are not work."
"Meetings are indispensable when you don't want to do anything. "
- John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
7. Say "I don't need a microphone" and proceed to yell for the entire meeting or talk too softly for the back of the room to hear.
8. Combine two unrelated meetings into one big meeting, ensuring that half the group will not care about half of the meeting.
"Soufflé is more important than you think. If men ate soufflé before meetings, life could be much different."
Jacques Baeyens, French consul general in NYC
9. Don't serve food during a lunchtime meeting.
10. Play "find a chair" at the beginning of the meeting due to inadequate seating.
11. Allow people to bring active pagers and cell phones and stop the meeting when one goes off.
12. Use visual aids no one can see without binoculars.
13. When you are finished, keep going just because the meeting was scheduled to take longer.
14. Invite Bozo the Facilitator to conduct your meeting.
15. Spend time trying to remember what happened at the last meeting.
16. Spend time arguing about what happened at the last meeting.
17. Refuse to take "off-line" conversations off line.
18. Fail to take minutes and follow up after the meeting.
19. Disband without summarizing the meeting.
20. Start over each time a latecomer arrives.
21. Speak in "alphabet soup" and other jargon most people don't understand.
22. Announce that someone will be joining by conference call and take everyone's time while you set up the equipment.
23. Start with an apology like "sorry to get started late" or "I know you can't read this, but?"
24. Fail to agree on the purpose of the meeting.
25. Go over the allotted time.
26. Volunteer absentee team members and forget to tell them about their assignments.
"A motion to adjourn is always in order. "
- Robert A. Heinlein
27. Schedule a long meeting. Anything over 90 minutes is too long for most meetings.
"On average, a project manager spends 8 years of his or her lifetime in meetings. "
- Vijay Verma
28. Invite the wrong people to the meeting.
29. Fail to invite people who should attend the meeting.
30. Allow "monopolizers" to ruin the meeting.
31. Speak to impress rather than express. Use words like "utilize" when you mean "use" and "enhance" when you mean "improve".
32. Come unprepared. Fail to plan for a successful meeting.
33. Read agenda and handouts word for word to the participants.
34. Keep participants in the dark about their roles in the meeting.
35. Keep doing what you've always done even though you know you've had "defective meetings" in the past.
Please email your favorite "meeting killers" to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About The Author
This originally appeared in John Gravitt's "Tools, Tips, and Toys" available at thegravittgroup.com" target="_new">http://thegravittgroup.com; email@example.com
Presentation on Elder Justice Program Fairfield Daily Republic
Presentation on Elder Justice Program. Christy Timko, Elder Abuse Victim Specialist, will present information about the Elder Justice Program in Solano County ...
Host a Public Hospital District presentation Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber
I am a member of the Vashon Rotary Club, and several weeks ago we had the Vashon Maury Health Collaborative (VMHC) deliver a program on Vashon's ...
5 Rockstar Client Presentation Skills Chief Marketer
A strong presentation bridges the gap between a creative's vision and a client's perception and can lead to buy-in or outright dismissal.
Medicare 101 presentation in Newport Newport News Times
Older adults are invited to learn about their Medicare choices and next steps at a Medicare 101 educational workshop at the Newport 60+ Activity Center on ...
Big check presentation in Bay St. Louis WXXV News 25
The City of Bay St. Louis gets a big check tonight to upgrade landmarks in the area including the 7th Street Park. Tonight, the Hancock County Community ...
HOLTZ PRESENTATION | News, Sports, Jobs The Review
Lou Holtz presented Linda Laneve Wickstrom with a medallion at Monday's Lou Holtz/Upper Ohio Valley Hall of Fame induction banquet when the Frank and ...
Thai firm holds Chinese presentation The Nation
Heroleads Thailand Co Ltd, a data-driven performance marketing company, was invited to the Google APAC Summit 2019 in Shenzhen to present its new ...
Gun safety presentation coming to library WLKM Radio
Jason Therrien, a Constantine police lieutenant, will present âGun Safety for Non-Gun Owners,â at 6 p. m. Thursday at the Three Rivers Community Center, 103 ...