8 Ways to Improve Your Presentation Skills
8 Ways to Improve Your Presentation Skills
1. Join Toastmasters. Toastmasters is a organization where you will get a chance to work on your impromptu speaking skills, leadership skills, evaluation skills as well as opportunities to practice specific skills in prepare presentations (at your own pace). Clubs typically meet weekly and you can find clubs that meet in the morning, evening, lunchtime to meet your schedule. I highly recommend this! Find a club and attend to learn much more.
2. Consider the Dale Carnegie Course. The Dale Carnegie Course is about much more than speaking, but you will speak in each of the 14 weekly sessions. This workshop is more expensive than Toastmasters but is an excellent program to help with presentation skills, confidence and more.
3. Find opportunities at work. You might have limited opportunities to speak at work, due to the nature of your job, but that doesn't need to keep you from letting people know you desire that chance. Take even opportunities to talk in small meetings as a chance to practice the skills we learned together too!
4. Find opportunities outside of work. Step up in your church or civic group to present some information or be involved in committees or teams that might provide you a chance to hone your skills.
5. Get feedback. Every time you speak ask someone to give you feedback. Ask a trusted friend or colleague to tell you what they saw, heard and observed. Ask one of them to provide you feedback after they are in your audience.
6. Video yourself. You saw the value and power of seeing yourself on tape. Use this tool yourself. Practice a presentation at home and let the camera run - then, watch it and think about what you might do differently to make your message even more powerful.
7. One thing at a time. Choose to work on just one thing at a time. For example, if you want to work on having a stronger WIIFM, make that your major goal for the talk. Pick one thing to especially, consciously work on each time you present. Doing this will help you improve quickly and consciously. Be sure to tell those you are asking for feedback from to look for these key focus areas too!
8. Go Karaoke! A colleague of mine, Jeffrey Gitomer suggests this as a great way to work on your presentation skills. He says that if you can use your skills to get a bunch of uninterested, rowdy (drunk!) people to pay attention to you, you have learned valuable skills that translate to presenting "non-singing" material. I think he is right.
©2004, All Rights Reserved, Kevin Eikenberry. Kevin is the President of The Kevin Eikenberry Group, a learning consulting company that helps their Clients reach their potential through a variety of training, consulting and speaking services. Go to www.kevineikenberry.com/training/training.asp">http://www.kevineikenberry.com/training/training.asp to learn more about customized training and workshops on Presentation Skills or contact Kevin at toll free 888.LEARNER.
Four Steps to a Perfect Presentation Tuck School
Professor Paul Argenti, who has taught corporate and management communication at Tuck for 38 years, shares his top tips for addressing an audience.
Presentation scheduled for Thursday | News Indiana Gazette
On Thursday, the IUP Center for Family Business will be holding a Peer Profiler presentation, panel discussion and networking seminar presented by Bank of ...
Scientist's presentation out-of-this-world Butler Eagle
The moon is moving away from the Earth, and astronauts can get sick easier when they get home. These were just a few things area students learned during a ...
Chaffin Award presentation set for March 12 Morehead State University News
Appalachian writers have garnered greater attention and support while sharing their experiences with Morehead State students thanks to MSU's Thomas and ...
Free presentation about Social Security Newport News Times
âFiling for Social Security: Flexibility and Choices for Your Retirement Incomeâ will be the topic of a free presentation at the Newport 60+ Activity Center on ...
Genealogy presentation at historical society The Daily Gazette
For people just starting to look into their own genealogy, one thing becomes abundantly clear: Tracing your mother's family tree is often a lot more difficult than ...
Making AI FaaSt InfoQ.com
Drascalita Haut: Today we're going to talk about functions, and in particular Functions as a *Service*. This talk analyzes this new computer model. It applies it to AI ...
Historical Society plans March presentation My Little Falls
The first meeting and presentation of the Little Falls Historical Society for the 2019 season will take place on Tuesday, March 26 at 7:00 PM at the WCA located ...
MS advocate to give presentation | News The Herald Argus
MICHIGAN CITY â She will discuss her âinvisibleâ disability and the challenges she's faced because of it when she speaks as a guest of the Michigan City ...
Michelangelo - Machine Learning @Uber InfoQ.com
I'm going to talk today about Machine Learning at Uber. There are three phases of the talk. The first one is to go over some of the interesting use cases of ML at ...